Friday, July 24, 2009

Skeptical mind

I think we are all meant to be skeptical of anything anyone tries to tell us. Of anything said or written or expressed. Even of things written in holy texts. (Especially?)

I get the feeling we are all imprinted with a unique purpose, a place in the universe, and it is different for everyone. There is an inner compass to follow. So the conclusion I draw from this, logically, is that no one else on earth will ever mirror me and my beliefs completely. I keep searching, trying to find the perfect philosophy, spiritual practice, religion that is completely me -- that I can completely embrace, with no reservations. It doesn't seem to be there.

Don't ever be afraid to use your mind and rigorously challenge every belief system, every fact. You cannot get rid of God with your disbelief or dispel God's presence, or abiding interest in you, through skepticism. He/She will pursue you as passionately as the most persistent lover, your entire life. You merely need to turn to God and find God already there, waiting.

However, I do still learn a great deal from talking to others and reading. I try to keep the information out there and not internalize it immediately. Or else I say, this I agree with, this I don't. This is dangerous, too, because it threatens to confine the mind from being rigorous and rethinking every assumption.

I am listening to Zencast (having just discovered the world of podcasts!) about the philosophical practice of Buddhism. I haven't gotten to the religious aspect so far. The big question I have about Buddhism is what about social justice? It doesn't seem to be there at all. We have to be aware of what is happening in the world, and how we can become a positive force in the world. Not just study our navels (or is it navals? I'm not talking about the military or oranges here), becoming more enlightened in our daily lives. Which probably means there is a big piece I don't understand yet. But I don't believe human suffering is fictitious, or better ignored, when it stems from wrongs that humans commit and can therefore do something about.

Life interferes, as usual. Darn. Maybe in reality, writing is interfering with whatever I'm supposed to be doing. But it sure seems more interesting than cooking dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Followers