Sunday, August 23, 2009

Do no evil

We must give up all hope for the improvement of the past.

This is a wonderful Buddhist saying.

I have been weighed down by the guilt of recently past words and deeds of mine that were in error because they were not said in love. I am becoming less and less tolerant of wickedness in myself, though no less human. I will still make blunders, so long as they are not intentional.

So I deleted a post where I spoke ill of others. It had become a poison brew, and guess who was being sickened by it? Me. So I cannot change the past, but I can improve the present.

There is no need to be harsh with others who have done wrong. Discerning, yes. I forget, in all the loveliness that is Buddhist practice, about The Problem Of Evil. Luckily, we recently watched a movie that reminded me about the importance of standing against evil.

If you are wondering, I am still a Christian. I will never forsake my Lord! For me, there is no incompatibility embracing Christianity and Buddhism. But then, I've lived many years, and I don't expect everyone else to understand. I don't even discuss this with my children. One religion is a plenty big hunk to chew off at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Followers