Monday, May 16, 2011

Now for something completely different

I got to be "teacher for a day" at Floresville High School after asking if any English teachers wanted help with their students writing college admission essays. Mrs. Haag (Austin's current freshman comp teacher) took me up on the offer! I spent time with juniors in five of her class periods today as they drafted essays for college, and next Monday I am supposed to help them with editing.

It gives me hope to see the level of dedication of a number of the public school teachers right here in Floresville. They have a lot to deal with -- lots of federal and state mandate hurdles and a huge variety of students, some with really challenging home environments -- and still, a number of teachers manage to shine and influence many, many children anyway.

There is a lot to criticize about public education, and it's a wonder that highly qualified people would even choose teaching as a vocation, but they still do. God bless them!

I'm still sorting out how and where I can serve on a long-term basis. I have a large commitment right now at church that doesn't seem like it will be winding down real soon. I really long to be on the front lines somewhere, making an impact with a truly at-risk population. It could be at prison, with the homeless, with at-risk kids, or with people in hospice care. Where the rubber truly hits the road, in other words. I need to be patient and wait for the right time and opportunity to present itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Followers